When you design a presentation for customers or upper management, you
want to be clear and thorough. But you probably dont want to include
the level of detail that is important to a project manager. You just
want a schedule that is easy to read and presents high-level
information and key milestones.
Suit your presentation to your audience
Imagine that a customer is coming in tomorrow for a project status
meeting. You plan to give a PowerPoint presentation showing the
completed milestones and overall project status. You want to include a
graphic that illustrates upcoming milestones but you know that your
customer finds Gantt charts confusing to look at.
So, you import your existing Project information
into Visio, and highlight only the need-to-know information.
The Import Project Data Wizard
You can quickly import your project information into Visio 2003 by
using the Import Project Data Wizard. Afterwards, you can cut and paste
your Visio timeline into PowerPoint as a visual that the customer will
understand and appreciate.
Microsoft Project information presented as a Visio timeline
To import a file from Microsoft Project 2002
- On the File menu, point to New, point to Project Schedule, and then click Timeline.
- On the Timeline menu, click Import Timeline Data.
- On the first wizard page, enter or select the Project (MPP) file
you want to use to create a Microsoft Office Visio timeline, and then
- On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to import.
See the Description at the bottom for details about each task type.
- On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want to use
for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that
appear on your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time scale and display options for your Visio timeline.
- Click OK, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the properties you specified in the wizard.
Note If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio places the timeline on a new page in your current drawing.
change the shape types for any or all of the timeline, milestone, and
interval shapes, right-click the shape on the drawing page, and then
click Set Timeline Type, Set Milestone Type, or Set Interval Type.